This section in itself may look incomplete, to have full flavor read Tech Gyan.There are many Wireless Testing tools in the wild for the different OS flavors right from Windows, Unix to Smart Phone OS. Unix based tools remain the most popular among them.
1. Kismet – Kismet is a powerful analyzer for analyzing the wireless traffic at a glance.
- 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11a, 802.11n sniffing
- Standard PCAP file logging (Wireshark, Tcpdump, etc)
- Client/Server modular architecture
- SSID detection (including hidden SSID’s)
- Distributed remote sniffing with Kismet drones
- XML logging for integration with other tools
- Linux, OSX, Windows, and BSD support (devices and drivers permitting)
Figure 1. Kismet showing the Network List & Details. 
2. Air Crack – It assists in cracking WEP & WPA-PSK and recovers the keys being used. It contains tools like Air Decap& Air Replay (802.11 packet injection utility), Airodump (used to capture 802.11 packets) etc. thus making it a suite containing tools and utilities for auditing of wireless networks.
3. Airsnort– It recovers encryption keys.
4. CowPatty– It is used to audit WPA-PSK keys
5. FakeAP – Used to generate spoofed/ counterfeit 802.11 b access points
6. Karma – KARMA once again is a popular suite of tools used for Wireless Auditing. It can discover the clients and the wireless networks as per client preference. Rogue AP’s can be created to capture client credentials or exploit the vulnerabilities on the client side.
7. GerixWiFi Cracker– Once again a very good GUI based tool comes pre-installed in BackTrack 4. It can be used for WEP & WPA cracking, to create Fake AP’s etc.
- Identifying SSID’s
- Identifying rogue Access Points (AP)
- Assistance in determining the location of the AP’s
- Determining signal strength etc.
Figure 3. NetStumbler 
Wi-Fi Scanning using Smartphone
- Laptop with Wi-Fi card
- GPS Module for mapping the location of the Access Points
- WiFi Buddy etc.
- Detecting SSID’s
- MAC Address of the AP / Wireless router
- Encryption type
- Channel & signal strength
- Plots co-ordinates if a GPS device is attached / present on the handheld etc.